Saturday 30 October 2010

Dynamic Word: More ideas for style

I really like Sanna Annukka's work but I also looked at other designers that used pattern, as inspiration for the layout and design on the webpages I need to create. I googled pattern designers. First I looked at Abduzeedo which showcased in this particular article 10 pattern surface designers. I really liked the work of Rizen, which is very similar to the work of Annukka. They often use block colours, shapes and silhouettes, which I think is effective for a pattern-esque image/pattern. Because I want my images to be quite detailed/ have a lot going on in them, like Annukka's work, I think this approach would be best; the images would be detailed but not too complicated that its too overpowering to look at.

I like the texture of these prints - is this something I could do with my designs, i.e. give the book paper a texture -make it look old?

I also liked Kate Sutton's work, that was also shown in the article. Its very stylistic. I like the use of line and block colour, but also the integration of patterns within the pattern, like on these trees, for example:

 Maje Sten has some very beautiful designs and when I think of fairy tales I would think of this work. This particular image shows how one colour can be used effectively. It is also reminiscent, for me, of the kind of imagery you'd expect to see accompany folk tales, in the style /way it looks. 
 Work also uses colour really nicely. Also shows how a colour scheme can be used and create an effective design.
 Orla Kiely is also similar to Annukka, in terms of approach to her style, in the way that silhouettes and block colours are used to create a successful design. Also use of very simple colour schemes and repetition of the same shapes make a consistent design. Effective, because when you see the designs, you know its an Orla Keily design.

William Morris had a very decorative approach to pattern design but I think that it is the traditional type of style you would associated with fairy tale books/stories; medieval feel/quality to his designs. He is best known for his pattern designs, particularly on fabrics and wallpapers. "His vision in linking art to industry by applying the values of fine art to the production of commercial design was a key stage in the evolution of design as we know it today."
Possible design layout idea?
Print & Pattern is a lovely blog dedicated to...print and pattern! Showcases a lot of designers so I will be referring to the site often whilst completing this project. Already I have discover ID Textiles which use silhouettes filling them with patterns. Very beautiful work, and an idea I would like to explore for my work.
Stickers & Stuff also a good site for the same kind of thing. Whilst browsing found this really good post on fairy tale imagery by Heather Ross!


----------------------------------------
Update - 4th Nov
Found this thanks to Abduzeedo feed on Facebook
The work of Damien Poulain for Alfa Romeo
"Alfa Romeo
For their 100th year anniversary, Alfa Romeo commissioned me to produce a limited edition print (7 copies) titled ’The Open Highway’ available during their exhibitions in Rome, Milan and many more. Rome, Italy. June 2010"
Very simple, three colour scheme. Simple use of 2D shapes, using bold colours to pick out the details/subjects of the image - The AR logo etc.

Silhouette designs by 'monpetitfantome' on Flickr or blog or etsy site. Fantastic.




No comments:

Post a Comment